Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 5, 2013 - 3:54 PM   
 By:   filmsonwax   (Member)

It's quite intimate and restrained really, classic Johnny. The main theme is lovely, it has a familiarity that makes me think of a theme in AI for some reason (i'll have to check). It does get lively at times and there's some fine tense material, and it tends to pull back from going full on. It's a grower, I'm on my third listen and it's got better with each listen, as it's more subdued than something like WAR HORSE which got me straight away.

Posted:   Nov 6, 2013 - 5:27 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

Great - now the German Amazon-site has deleted the release date (Nov 22) of the CD.

Well, probably the score will be released in January when the film is supposed to be out here.

Since I was looking forward to a new Williams score I will choose the Amazon.co.uk website to order the score. At least it is released there next week already.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 11:25 PM   
 By:   itstownerman   (Member)

John Williams Music to The Book Thief is on Youtube....

I have been listening to it all day...and truly like it's style of very quite and mellow. There is not a Superman, Star Wars, or even The Towering Inferno Moment!!! lol

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:27 AM   

John Williams Music to The Book Thief is on Youtube....

I have been listening to it all day...and truly like it's style of very quite and mellow. There is not a Superman, Star Wars, or even The Towering Inferno Moment!!! lol

Do not listen to this on youtube. This is promoting piracy.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 1:31 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Listening to one or two tracks on YouTube is one thing, but relying on it for the entire album is not on. It's not like those Listening Party things AOL does.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 3:26 AM   
 By:   SingingObelisk   (Member)

It's a nice score but it's often eerily similar to especially the music he wrote for Stepmom, both in melody and orchestration. Actually, the main theme of Stepmom seems to creep up once in a while during the entire film. It's beautiful music, but not something we haven't heard from him.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 12:15 PM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

What IS John Williams music that we haven't heard from him?

It's a beautiful score, particularly in the second half. I wonder why no one ever said about Miklos Rozsa, "Well, it's not music we haven't heard from him." Most of the great film composers have/had a distinctive musical voice, which is why they were great and why people hired them.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   Bob Bryden   (Member)

Paraphrasing Herrmann slightly, he said something to the effect of 'we've only got three tunes each'. Ha! So really, its a matter of how much you like THOSE THREE tunes by each composer. I for one, generally, don't mind hearing them over and over from the great masters - Zimmer excluded. (I suppose with that last statement I back-handedly acknowledged Zimmer as a great master which was not my intention. Ha!)

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 3:02 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

I'm simply loving the theme for The Book Thief. Will go nicely along with War Horse.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 3:15 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

This is a VERY good score, indeed!

(Yes yes, I know, I shouldn't have done it roll eyes but I just couldn't resist the temptation!...)

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 4:02 PM   
 By:   JamesSouthall   (Member)

My review of this album, if anyone's interested:

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-book-thief

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 1:34 AM   

My review of this album, if anyone's interested:

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-book-thief

Great review, highlighting everything important. Thank you!

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   Ludwig van   (Member)

An excellent review. It's good to see that despite having mostly short cues, each has "a beginning, middle and end." Williams is such a narrative composer. His music always seems to take us through some sort of journey, after which we feel enriched or somehow better. Thanks again.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 11:57 AM   
 By:   Gunnar   (Member)

Great - now the German Amazon-site has deleted the release date (Nov 22) of the CD.

The CD is back at Amazon.de for a November 22 release, although at a higher price than before.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2013 - 12:28 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I know people who walked into an actual shop (HMV) and bought this today in Liverpool!
Gadzooks!
I'd already ordered my copy from Amazon (it was mailed on Saturday) but I have the option to listen via Amazon Autorip and youtube, while I wait for the actual disc.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 5:27 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Maybe I've just become used to the End Credits cue from Stepmom over the years and shunned the rest of the score (it's pretty much a perfect encapsulation of the score in that one cue), but I don't hear anything like it in The Book Thief. Angela's Ashes is the only glaring bit of re-used material (and it's only used briefly). Where is all this Stepmom music?

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 5:44 AM   
 By:   pete   (Member)

Where is all this Stepmom music?

The piano runs remind me a little of Time Spins its Web, but having just listened to that piece again, it's not as similar as it first seemed.

Posted:   Nov 14, 2013 - 4:40 AM   
 By:   Bill Finn   (Member)

Amazon USA is now offering AutoRip for anyone who purchased the CD (due now to be released on the 19th and priced at 11.88 U.S.D. and a reduction from the 11.99 original price). So now I can download the MP3 files and sample the score prior to getting my CD in the mail.

Posted:   Nov 14, 2013 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Yup! This is exactly the time to jump on the AutoRip bandwagon, when the digital release is early. The files are an uncommon-for-Amazon 320, rather than their usual 256, FYI. That was a surprise.

Posted:   Nov 14, 2013 - 5:43 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

I know people who walked into an actual shop (HMV) and bought this today in Liverpool!

I was able to do that myself, surprisingly. I really like the score, certainly reminiscent of 'Angela's Ashes' in some parts, but that's no bad thing. I'm not too keen on the shorter length of some cues though, sounds at times like you are listening to one of those C&C releases that don't always make for a good listening experience.