Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 26, 2013 - 9:12 PM   
 By:   Drawgoon   (Member)

2007, wow. This thing must have been in development for a while.

Much longer than that. Some interesting stories about its development can be found in the following article. Might answer a question or two.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2013/10/18/countdown-to-disney-quot-frozen-quot-how-one-simple-suggestion-broke-the-ice-on-the-quot-snow-queen-quot-s-decades-long-story-problems.aspx

Posted:   Nov 30, 2013 - 8:59 AM   
 By:   Dalboz17   (Member)

I recently got a chance to review the album for the alt-weekly newspaper where I work (as Art Director) -- as the resident "soundtrack guy" it was given right to me! It's the first longer-than-a-Facebook-status-update review I've written in at least 6 years, so go easy on me. wink There doesn't seem to be a ton of discussion about Beck's score in most of the other album reviews I've seen around the 'net, so liked it or hated it, I'd love to hear from others who've given this a spin!

http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/rochester/cd-review-disneys-frozen-soundtrack/Content?oid=2302643

Posted:   Nov 30, 2013 - 12:05 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Thanks for the review.
I generally like Beck's music and he's one of the few new guys who I warmly anticipate new scores from.
I was looking forward to the film, having enjoyed Enchanted and Tangled, but after the seeing the horrible trailer (just too much annoying 'modern kid attitude' for me) I will probably swerve it.
I will be buying the soundtrack though and your review has certainly whetted my appetite.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2013 - 12:08 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

I rather enjoyed this score. Nothing groundbreaking, but very pleasant and one of Beck's best.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2013 - 3:51 PM   
 By:   Mikal   (Member)

I've never been bowled over by a Christophe Beck score, but I really love the ethnic touches of traditional Scandinavian instrumentation he employed. As with many scores, I think it works better in the film than it does on album. However, the songs are what make the album for me, particularly "For the First Time in Forever" and "Let It Go." Hearing them in context gave me chills, especially the latter, as it accompanied a marvelous sequence in the film.

Posted:   Nov 30, 2013 - 3:51 PM   
 By:   Mikal   (Member)

I've never been bowled over by a Christophe Beck score, but I really love the ethnic touches of traditional Scandinavian instrumentation he employed. As with many scores, I think it works better in the film than it does on album. However, the songs are what make the album for me, particularly "For the First Time in Forever" and "Let It Go." Hearing them in context gave me chills, especially the latter, as it accompanied a marvelous sequence in the film.

Posted:   Dec 3, 2013 - 12:07 AM   
 By:   Jon Broxton   (Member)

My review of FROZEN for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/12/02/frozen-christophe-beck/

Jon

Posted:   Dec 3, 2013 - 11:19 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

Two disc set huh? Any bets the second disc will be a song compilation? Also understand why Disney changed the name too "Frozen". The Russian's already produced a CGI animated "Snow Queen" feature which an American distributor will surely use to steal Disney's thunder.

The Russians also brought out their own version of the Andersen tale, THE SNOW QUEEN, back in 1957, which was Americanized, with a prologue with Art Linkletter, as well as interpolated songs, sung by the likes of Sandra Dee and Tommy Kirk, in 1959. Both are available on Amazon, and you can even watch both entire films online.

Further, Alan Menken, of LITTLE MERMAID and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST fame, wrote an entire score for Disney, apparently for an earlier version of the story, which was abandoned. (Would love to hear what Menken wrote; it will probably be used in something else at some point.)

Posted:   Dec 15, 2013 - 11:28 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Just came across this on Amazon by accident. Thoroughly impressed that disney are releasing a deluxe edition right off the bat. A somewhat unusual tack for them but one I hope they continue to do.

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 1:02 PM   

Upon first listen, I thought the songs were quite weak and not a patch on the work of Menken and co.
After a second play, Do You Want To Build A Snowman, First Time In Forever and Let It Go sounded pretty okay-ish.
By play 3, I couldn't get the damned things outta my head!!
Some of the score tracks by Beck are equally beautiful, if a tad short.
I've re-assembled a killer 42 minute programme which combines score and songs (I hate the way Disney stick all the songs up-front, with the score following) and it's pretty much been in constant rotation this past week.
Now, if only I could get over the, like, totally annoyING Valley speak from the trailer and attempt to watch the (supposedly) very good film.

Posted:   Jan 3, 2014 - 2:54 AM   
 By:   MattyO   (Member)

I have to say this one is perhaps my favourite score from 2013. Christophe Beck nailed the sound this film needed and it's refreshing to hear something so orchestral, with the use of native instruments really adding depth (even though the score is not all that thematic). The songs took a bit to grow on me, but once they stick they stick for good. "For The First Time in Forever" and "Let It Go" are classic Disney and Beck has woven them into the score in a way that makes the score flow really well with the songs in their chronological order.

I really enjoyed Alan Menken's work on Tangled, but Frozen is so fresh and vibrant that it's probably a good thing Menken didn't end up with this gig. The film itself is gorgeous and certainly hearkens back to the Disney renaissance (it felt very Beauty and the Beast to me). I consider this and Tangled to be complimentary companions and can't wait to see what the mouse house has lined up next.

I've ordered the score and songs in film order below for anyone who's interested.

1. Vuelie
2. Frozen Heart
3. Elsa and Anna
4. The Trolls
5. Do You Want To Build A Snowman?
6. Coronation Day
7. For The First Time In Forever
8. Heimr Arnadalr
9. Winter's Waltz
10. Love Is An Open Door
11. Sorcery
12. Royal Pursuit
13. Let It Go
14. Onward and Upward
15. Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People
16. Wolves
17. The North Mountain
18. In Summer
19. We Were So Close
20. For The First Time In Forever (Reprise)
21. Marshmallow Attack!
22. Conceal, Don't Feel
23. Fixer Upper
24. Only An Act Of True Love
25. Summit Siege
26. Return To Arendelle
27. Treason
28. Some People Are Worth Melting For
29. Whiteout
30. The Great Thaw (Vuelie Reprise)
31. Epilogue
32. Let It Go (End Credits)

Posted:   Jan 3, 2014 - 12:35 PM   

Agreed MattyO, this has been my most played CD of the past few weeks.
It really improves with repeated listens and Beck's subtle interpolations of the song melodies is, at times, inspired.
The 3 Norwegian choir cues (Main Title, Heimr Arnadalr and The Great Thaw) are quite brilliant and I can't stop playing them. Heimr Arnadalr has become THE tune of Christmas 2013 for me (together with Do You Wanna Build A Snowman).
I also finally saw the film between Christmas and New Year (too many trusted allies have enthused about it, so I tried to forget the awful trailer I saw awhile back) and it is indeed very excellent.
You can see a seamless transition from the cinema screen to Broadway without any trouble.
The snowy animation vistas and atmosphere are incredible, making it a real December treat.
Probably one of the Top 5 films I've seen this year (2013), without a doubt.

Posted:   Jan 3, 2014 - 4:01 PM   

A broadway musical would be very appealing, if only to get more songs. I really wish there had been a villain's song.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2014 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

I am playing this score right now because it is 12 degrees outside my window as I type. Brrrrrrr

Posted:   Jan 4, 2014 - 9:31 AM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

A broadway musical would be very appealing, if only to get more songs. I really wish there had been a villain's song.

Well... there is, but you just don't know he's the villain at the time. And a song of his own would give away the spoiler, so I can understand the exclusion.

I gave this a listen, and it is a fantastic soundtrack. The songs are pretty good, with several that really shine, and the score is another top-notch effort by Beck. I am especially thankful for the extra song demos we get on CD 2 of the deluxe edition, songs written for the film but never used in the final product. It's like extra icing on the cake.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2014 - 9:41 AM   
 By:   BrendonKelly   (Member)

Great songs and great score! One of my favourite animated scores. Based on the tracklisting info above I now have it in order. Thank you for posting!

Posted:   Jan 4, 2014 - 9:32 PM   

I like how the villain reveal was a twist and also played on the expectations of a Disney princess tale. A villainous reprise of Love Is An Open Door would have been icing on the cake.

Posted:   Jan 5, 2014 - 12:19 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

I agree it was a surprise when the real bad guy emerged - although overall Beck's contribution is stronger than the Lopezes. smile

Posted:   Jan 29, 2014 - 11:51 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

A few killer songs, and as good a score as one has the right to hope for these days. And all of it available on the single CD version for those who want to save a few bucks. I'm happy.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2014 - 9:01 AM   

I think this must be my most played CD of the past 12 months!
Just sublime smile