Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 4, 2013 - 9:18 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

I fully expect the movie to be good but the trailer was so incredibly generic.

Completely agree. This could be any generic action movie at this point. And Shadow Recruit? What is this, a CD-ROM game?

Posted:   Oct 19, 2013 - 11:47 AM   
 By:   ddddeeee   (Member)

Doyle worked with the LSO again and had 6-7 months to write the score.

He's also started work on Cinderella and has another project coming up, although he can't say what it is right now. Sounds like another big movie.

http://owley.ch/2013/10/13/toaz-interview-mit-patrick-doyle/

Posted:   Oct 19, 2013 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

It's probably the unconfirmed, "Viva CaƱonero!".

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=14508
He'll be premiering selection(s) from "Jack Ryan" there, too

Posted:   Oct 19, 2013 - 3:00 PM   

Viva Canonero! doesn't seem to have a director at this point let alone a composer. The way Doyle and the interviewer spoke made it seem like a high profile film but then again Doyle's just a very excitable person.

Posted:   Nov 28, 2013 - 1:26 PM   

Album coming from Varese.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/11/28/varese-sarabande-to-release-patrick-doyles-jack-ryan-shadow-recruit-score/

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 4:59 PM   

"And what of the music from Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit? Doyle presented two pieces, the first an unexpectedly emotive track for Slavic choir and strings; the second a wholesome Americana piece for trumpet. How will the music relate to the movie? We'll find out when the film is released in Cineworld on 24 January 2014"

http://www.cineworld.co.uk/blog/patrick-doyle-birthday-concert

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 9:06 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

Coming January 14: http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1146/Jack-Ryan-cln--Shadow-Recruit/Detail

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 12:55 PM   

OUCH! January release. I knew the movie was pushed back, but I assumed into the spring.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 1:05 PM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

OUCH! January release. I knew the movie was pushed back, but I assumed into the spring.

Yeah, but you know what, Jan-Mar really isn't the black hole it used to be for movie releases. In recent years, there have been a number of good films that found audiences and were hits during this time.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 1:07 PM   

Yeah, but you know what, Jan-Mar really isn't the black hole it used to be for movie releases. In recent years, there have been a number of good films that found audiences and were hits during this time.

I don't know. January, though? I know Taken came out at the tail-end of January back when, but mid-January?

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 2:16 PM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

I don't know. January, though? I know Taken came out at the tail-end of January back when, but mid-January?

Paramount's compromise for pushing it to mid-January is remastering for an IMAX release. So there's that?

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 4:33 PM   

Yeah, that makes sense...

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 4:41 PM   
 By:   Khan   (Member)

Well, some more digging says it was pushed back because Scorsese couldn't meet his original November release date for The Wolf of Wall Street, so Paramount bumped Jack Ryan off Christmas Day so Scorsese's picture could be released then instead.

I guess the IMAX remaster came as a result of the delay.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2013 - 8:09 AM   

Wolf of Wall Street got priority because it had to make that Christmas date to be eligible for the Oscars next year.

The Jan release date doesn't bode well for it's box office, though it's budget is 'only' $80M so it shouldn't be disastrous. I wouldn't use it to judge it's quality though, I've heard the movie is really quite good from people who saw screenings. One of which compared it to De Palma's Mission: Impossible which really works for me.

Posted:   Dec 26, 2013 - 11:52 PM   
 By:   jamesluckard   (Member)

Amazon now shows the CD delayed to 2/4:

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Ryan-Shadow-Recruit-O-S-T/dp/B00HBSETLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1388130666&sr=1-1&keywords=jack+ryan

Posted:   Dec 31, 2013 - 1:22 PM   

Some adverts are making rounds featuring Pine and Costner interrogating some ridiculous figures. The one I just watched had them interrogating a tree, funny stuff.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Doyle's score is being used in them. Very electronic with light support from strings, a little creepy motif popped up in at least two of the adverts.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2014 - 1:16 AM   
 By:   voiced   (Member)

Doyle made a conscious decision with Branagh to go modern with Thor, nobody forced him to do anything. He said it's one of the first things he and Branagh talked about.

This is not what Doyle described in a video interview with Cut Filmmaking Network. They've since deleted the long interview from their site, but here what I wrote about what I heard him say:

"Listened to about 3/4th of the interview I linked above. My anticipation for his "Thor" score just went bye-bye, with him describing how the interference was like somebody standing on his shoulder, don't do this, don't do that, and, quote: "old school was a no-no"; couldn't even use trumpets until, as he said, about the last reel. And most everything had to be kept below middle C to appease, and anything above had to be really quiet."

Was this the interview that was recorded at Glasgow University? The reason it was taken down is because they left in long clips of licensed film footage and it was filmed for university use, not public broadcast.

Those comments were made in relation to the 'Thor Kills the Destroyer' scene which had just been scored around that time, hence the new more contemporary version in the film and relocation of the original piece to the end credits. The album was prepared before the pick-up sessions. The FSMO score restore feature details all of this and the 3 alternate versions in Dec 2011.

Funny story: When Patrick first met Kevin Feige he enthusiastically stated how much he loved 'Superman' as a kid. To which Kevin replied in fits of laughter, "That's DC!".

Back on topic, the first radio play of music from 'Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit' will air on my show with comments from Patrick this coming Saturday 4th Jan. Between 12:15 and 12:45pm GMT at Q Radio on FM in Northern Ireland: 97.2, 101.2, 102.9, 106 or 107. Listen online at www.qradionetwork.com. I'll post a link here shortly after in case you miss it.

A reminder that music from Jack Ryan and other Kenneth Branagh movies will be performed at Belfast's Waterfront Hall on March 31st with Patrick in attendance: http://ulsterorchestra.com/concerts/2014/march31/the-music-of-patrick-doyle-from-the-films-of-sir-kenneth-branagh

Posted:   Jan 2, 2014 - 11:19 AM   

Amazon now shows the CD delayed to 2/4:

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Ryan-Shadow-Recruit-O-S-T/dp/B00HBSETLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1388130666&sr=1-1&keywords=jack+ryan

Varese has updated to 2/4 too.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2014 - 1:50 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

Well, unless there is the cover art and the tracklist by the end of this week, it won't be most likely last delay.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2014 - 4:37 AM   

Ryan, Mr President sounds great, very nostalgic, patriotic and very Doyle.