Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 1:29 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

My database (subject to inaccuracies!) shows 19 titles, incl. the Georges Delerue 6CD set.

I know that the digipak design is not universally (ha! smile liked but I really like the style, albeit they will wear and do have to be handled a little more carefully.

The two John Barry releases are, of course, my favourites but they all have something good to offer. The one that hasn't captured me yet, as well I'd hoped, is Michel Magne's Fantômas collection ... but I'll play it again today to see/hear if I'm more attuned to it now.

Mitch

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 4:00 AM   
 By:   odelayy   (Member)

54 so far.

Can't name them all...

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 5:02 AM   
 By:   Urs Lesse   (Member)

Sorry for being late to the party. wink

Here's the list: http://ecoutez.urs-lesse.de

I basically own them all with just a few exceptions:

General Collection – #64 and the following are just rumored titles so far, so the entries in the list are subject to change or correction (ok, #61 to 63 are not physically part of my personal collection yet either, but they are already paid for and sitting ready to be picked up by me at my friend Francis' home some 20 miles from here smile

Anthologies collection – I didn't like issue L"' (LEGRAND – SUITES CINEMATOGRAPHIQUES / CINEMA SUITES) and sold it. I didn't buy NOUVELLES VAGUE – CHANSONS ET MUSIQUES DE FILM (3CD) yet because I think there is little in it that I haven't got yet (through previous Écoutez releases). Didn't get GEORGES DELERUE – MUSIQUES DE FILMS 1961-1992 either yet for the same reason. I've generally become selective about their new releases with the departure of digipak packaging. From the new jewel case releases, I only buy or keep what I really like to listen to.

Related releases – I own only the Cinemix remix sampler CD. I have only ever heard of one other release in this section being actually owned by someone I knew (the first promo title). The three EPs I have only ever heard/read of at http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Karel/ecoutez_le_cinema_

My favourites would be their first Colombier release (#25), their recent Delerue CD L'Africain (#59), Magne's Fantômas (#9), Sarde's Le Train (#14), Goldsmith's Papillon (#17), Lai's Mayerling (#28), Roubaix' Le Samouraï / Les Aventuriers (#36) and 2-3 more titles by Roubaix and/or Demarsan which I keep getting confused wink

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 5:17 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

L'ARMÉE DES OMBRES and LE CERCLE ROUGE.

Thanks for the list Urs. smile

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 5:51 AM   
 By:   lexedo   (Member)

I think about 10 or 12. My favorite is probably the Papillion bc, to me, if the French recognize an American's music, well, that's big cookie, ya know. Le Mans is very good, as are the Colombier releases -- he was very inventive.

I like the Delerue and Jarre boxes bc many of those films I will never see.

Anything w Jean Paul Belmondo on the cover is an immediate purchase.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 6:38 AM   
 By:   Dorian   (Member)

Going through the list, I seem to have 35 out of the 63 "regular releases" and 12 from the remaining categories (including the Gainsbourg 3CD box).

Most recently I bought Jules et Jim and was surprised to receive a jewel case edition as I clearly remember seeing a digipack edition in a store some time ago. I know the recent releases such as The Horsemen are in jewel cases but not that this also concerns the earlier titles.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 8:58 AM   
 By:   Urs Lesse   (Member)

By the way, I just noticed there is a single page website at http://www.ecoutez-le-cinema.com now. Currently it only offers a promotion for the upcoming 11CD Jacques Demy/Michel Legrand box. Let's see if it will develop into a more comprehensive source of information about the whole series later.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 10:15 AM   
 By:   Kim Tong   (Member)

None

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 10:25 AM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

None

Well that's too bad.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 10:33 AM   

...the Colombier releases -- he was very inventive.

Colombier's L'Alpagueur is another in my regular rotation. In a word: AWESOME!

And is it just me, but Belmondo flicks are exceptionnaly well scored.

La Scoumoune, Flic ou Voyou, L'Alpagueur, Le Professionel, Peur sur la Ville, Le Marginal, L'Ainée des Ferchaux, Pierrot le Fou, Le Magnifique....

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 10:39 AM   

I know that the digipak design is not universally (ha! smile liked but I really like the style, albeit they will wear and do have to be handled a little more carefully

Agreed. Although, I've come to appreciate the cover designs over time. The background pictures are usually selected with great care in order to match the poster art. Also, their releases have a 'signature' look which is both instantly identifiable as well as being classy.

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 12:07 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

TESS

is that still in print?
brm

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 12:12 PM   

TESS

is that still in print?
brm

I'm not certain, but it should never be OOP. That score is gorgeous!

Posted:   Mar 14, 2013 - 12:30 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

TESS

is that still in print?
brm

I'm not certain, but it should never be OOP. That score is gorgeous!

oh yeah!
excellent film also!

Posted:   Mar 15, 2013 - 8:03 AM   
 By:   ToneRow   (Member)

...the Colombier releases -- he was very inventive.

Colombier's L'Alpagueur is another in my regular rotation. In a word: AWESOME!

And is it just me, but Belmondo flicks are exceptionnaly well scored.

La Scoumoune, Flic ou Voyou, L'Alpagueur, Le Professionel, Peur sur la Ville, Le Marginal, L'Ainée des Ferchaux, Pierrot le Fou, Le Magnifique....

Hey A&C - what about A BOUT DE SOUFFLE (by Martial Solal)?

Posted:   Mar 15, 2013 - 8:14 AM   

Updated inventory count:

There's 26 composer-specific albums in my collection, plus a 3-disc compilation on assorted Nouvelle Vague titles.

5 on Delerue
4 on Legrand
4 on de Roubaix
4 on Sarde
2 on Magne
and one apiece for Duhamel, Goldsmith, Jansen, Jarre, Rota, Schifrin, Solal

Posted:   Mar 15, 2013 - 3:18 PM   

Incomplete inventory:

PHILIPPE SARDE - 15
FRANÇOIS DE ROUBAIX 9
DELERUE 8 - wow! I didn't realize I had that many. I'll have to be more careful in future smile
MICHEL MAGNE 5
MAURICE JARRE 3
MICHEL LEGRAND 3
ÉRIC DEMARSAN 2
NINO ROTA 1
MARTIAL SOLAL 1 (and yes Mr. Tonerow, A BOUT DE SOUFFLE is great.
SERGE GAINSBOURG 1

Posted:   Mar 15, 2013 - 3:37 PM   

DELERUE 8 - wow! I didn't realize I had that many. I'll have to be more careful in future smile

I expect, A&C, you like the POLICE PYTHON album the most, right?
(though that "Polar Selon" album is also rather good)

[my thoughts on those '70s Delerue titles were recently posted on the thread about Delerue's 'peak' period, if you're interested smile ].

Posted:   Mar 15, 2013 - 3:43 PM   

I expect, A&C, you like the POLICE PYTHON album the most, right?
(though that "Polar Selon" album is also rather good)

The POLICE PYTHON 57 is a very enjoyable album. I think my 'dislike' of Delerue has been greatly exaggerated, but I do admit that I quite enjoy yanking Pedro's (all too easily yanked) chain. smile

As for 'Le Polar selon... ' , I still don't own that particular title, but I'll be getting around to securing a copy sooner or later.

Posted:   Mar 15, 2013 - 4:32 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

If I counted right there are 35 in my collection - Delerue has the lion's share with 10.

Some picks:

- Sarde's "Le Choix des Armes/Fort Saganne" and "Tess/Le Locataire"
- Legrand's "Three Musketeers/Robin and Marian" (the latter is one of my favorite unused scores!) and the delightful "Baron de Munchausen/Les Schtroumpfs"
- Delerue's "The Horsemen", the collection featuring "Le Mepris" and the 6CD Box set
- Colombier's "L' Heritier/L' Alpagueur"