Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Heavy Metal: The Score

Posted:   Dec 23, 2011 - 8:53 PM   
 By:   Paul MacLean   (Member)

The film's rather poor, to be honest, but the score is fantastic.

I like parts of the film. I think the "Den" segment is a lot of fun (if a bit lewd), and I like the epic quality of the final "Taarna" sequence. The finale is also lovely, even touching. On the other hand I find the "Harry Canyon" episode sleazy and disgusting, and the robot-secretary love story very sophomoric. But Bernstein's score for all of them is fantastic, no question.

Bernstein had Barry's talent for writing magnificent scores for hokey sf; just think what either could have done with a truly great sf film.

I'd have given almost anything to have heard him score a Star Trek movie. How I wish Leonard Nimoy had hired Bernstein for Star Trek IV instead of The Good Mother! frown

Posted:   Jan 29, 2015 - 4:25 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

As a true film music fan, I obsessed with something that nobody else cares much about: how very different the mix is for this cd from the LP.

The liner notes say that the cd came from the composer's tapes, but it's not clear whether this was a mix for the film. Has anybody read anywhere the answer?

(By the by, this score is a must-have! I consider it Bernstein's STAR WARS.)