Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 10:20 AM   
 By:   Jim Lochner   (Member)

Shameless plug: I'm doing reviews of all six of the current batch over at http://FilmScoreClickTrack.com.

The next batch of releases is due in March.

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 12:46 PM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

I was going to stick with what I've got, but after reading comments here I think I'll try one, my favorite, Casablanca. If you look under Amazon UK's silly £20 price, there's a much cheaper price from American Marketplace sellers, around £6.70 plus £1.24 p/p, not bad. Casablanca will set me back £7.91.

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 1:04 PM   

Another plug, but not for myself. To hear more full clips, check out Erik Woods' excellent four-part show on the Gerhardt recordings over at Cinematic Sound Radio.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/site/the_archive.html

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 3:34 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I'm assuming the others will be released soon.
I wouldn't be surprised if when they are all available, they are released with the option of a single boxed set.

March 2011 is reportedly the release date for the next batch. The only thing that's keeping me from buying this first batch of releases is the fear that they will be offered later as a box set, with the "Spectacular World" disc as an extra that is exclusive to the set. That would be dirty pool, but I'll wait until March to make sure.

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 5:57 PM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

Wouldn't it have been nice if they had been upgraded to SACD? That would have offered a real incentive to buy again. There is so little film music in that format. Some Telarc collections and what else?

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 9:13 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

The only thing that's keeping me from buying this first batch of releases is the fear that they will be offered later as a box set, with the "Spectacular World" disc as an extra that is exclusive to the set. That would be dirty pool, but I'll wait until March to make sure.

I thought about that too, but since decided we'd have to wait longer than March to find out. If they release the remaining titles at that time, they'd likely be on sale for a long time before they release a (theoretical) box set. They'd have to be running low of all their single CDs first.
So buy now and enjoy them!

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 10:22 PM   
 By:   John Black   (Member)

What will be in the next batch? Herrmann? Waxman? Those are the only two reissues that I want.

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 10:25 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

The only thing that's keeping me from buying this first batch of releases is the fear that they will be offered later as a box set, with the "Spectacular World" disc as an extra that is exclusive to the set. That would be dirty pool, but I'll wait until March to make sure.
--------------------
I thought about that too, but since decided we'd have to wait longer than March to find out. If they release the remaining titles at that time, they'd likely be on sale for a long time before they release a (theoretical) box set. They'd have to be running low of all their single CDs first.
So buy now and enjoy them!

Well, if they release the "Spectacular World" disc with the others in March, that will answer the question. I'd buy the individual discs then. At the current price, I can't see the savings in a box as being all that spectacular. I can live with the old discs until then.

Posted:   Oct 26, 2010 - 2:51 AM   
 By:   Bill Cooke   (Member)

What will be in the next batch? Herrmann? Waxman? Those are the only two reissues that I want.

Also we can expect Rozsa, Steiner, and the Bette Davis tribute.

Posted:   Oct 26, 2010 - 6:59 AM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

Also we can expect Rozsa, Steiner, and the Bette Davis tribute.
Plus, Korngold 2!

Posted:   Oct 26, 2010 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   ajhfsm   (Member)

Wouldn't it have been nice if they had been upgraded to SACD? That would have offered a real incentive to buy again. There is so little film music in that format. Some Telarc collections and what else?

Nah, but a top quality DSD capture of the source material would be nice, on CD.

Posted:   Oct 26, 2010 - 8:17 PM   
 By:   Bill Cooke   (Member)

Listening to THE SEA HAWK now, and the sound is incredible.

Posted:   Oct 27, 2010 - 8:37 AM   
 By:   Ed   (Member)

So they're better than the Dolby releases. How do they compare to the two expanded non-Dolby releases?

There are several Waxman cues that are part of the new reissues and hopefully the full Sunset Boulevard album will be released in March.

There is a improvement over the expanded Waxman cd (which one would expect considering it was mastered over twenty years ago), but the difference is more subtle the Surround version. I find the low end still has all the original punch but the highs have been brightened up slightly. Everything has just a bit more "live" impact. Remember, the sound on that expanded Waxman cd was very, very good - at the time and now.

You know if Sony really wanted to give us a treat, when it comes time to reissue "Spectacular World..." they ought to present the rest of the unreleased music there (which was the original intent). The contents of the LP and surround CD versions were different in any case so perhaps additional changes (additions) could be possible.

Posted:   Oct 27, 2010 - 9:02 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

There is a improvement over the expanded Waxman cd (which one would expect considering it was mastered over twenty years ago), but the difference is more subtle than with the Surround version. I find the low end still has all the original punch but the highs have been brightened up slightly. Everything has just a bit more "live" impact. Remember, the sound on that expanded Waxman cd was very, very good - at the time and now.

You know if Sony really wanted to give us a treat, when it comes time to reissue "Spectacular World..." they ought to present the rest of the unreleased music there (which was the original intent). The contents of the LP and surround CD versions were different in any case so perhaps additional changes (additions) could be possible.

Thanks for the analysis. 'Looks good. Yes, the whole body of stuff would be welcome.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2010 - 12:21 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Mine have arrived. Superb! Very substantial improvement in sound over the previous CDs. Very worthwhile upgrade. Now I remember exactly what all the praise for the sound was about all those years ago – the subsequent surround CDs had diluted the excellence.

Each CD carries a small sticker on the outer wrap: "Newly remastered using the original analog tapes."

Addition: I'm updating this to mention that there is some deterioration in the sound of the "Conquest" cue from Captain From Castile, so time might not have been equally kind to all the original tapes.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2010 - 1:58 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

I thought the Rozsa album was one of the worst in the series. The selections don't represent Rozsa at his finest, nor do I care for Gerhardt's interpretations.

The sound on the surround CD is so horrible that I can't listen to it. This album, flaws and all. is in dire need of a great remaster.

I hate the sound on all the original surround CD's, with the Rozsa, Herrmann, and Korngold 2 probably being the most atrocious of the bunch.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2010 - 2:22 PM   

Mine have arrived. Superb! Very substantial improvement in sound over the previous CDs.

Basil, did you get the Bogart disc? If so, could you check track 3, TREASURE OF SIERRE MADRE, and let me know if there's a "wow" on the first chord? It's very noticeable on my copy and I'm not sure if it's a flaw in all of them or just mine.

Thanks
Jim

Posted:   Oct 28, 2010 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   Uwe Sperlich   (Member)

I agree, either on SACD or Blu-ray audio I would have immediately bought all releases again... and be willing to spend $20 for it.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2010 - 3:03 PM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

It's interesting how everybody (well, almost everybody) admires these albums -- including the folks who are always complaining about "reverb" and "the concert hall sound." For of course all of these discs were recorded in the wonderfully reverberant Kingsway Hall by top notch classical engineers.

Posted:   Oct 28, 2010 - 3:07 PM   
 By:   Uwe Sperlich   (Member)

Very exciting indeed.

I would have loved to have all these classic albums remastered from the recording sessions, but that's probably no longer possible.

A word about the two "expanded" CFS releases: The Waxman expansion is a marvel and contains all of his music recorded for the series in stunning (non-Dolby) sound. It remains on my short list of greatest film music cds ever.

The expanded "Sea Hawk" was problematic in several ways. First, there was obviously too much Korngold for one extended disc, but perhaps not enough for two. Second, music recorded years apart (1972 vs 1975) and under different circumstances was edited together resulting in jarring changes in characteristics (I'm thinking specifically here of the expanded "Sea Hawk" suite). Third, the music cut together suites that, again in the case of "The Sea Hawk", resulted in the Finale being repeated twice: once from the original Suite, and again from the suite recorded for the Errol Flynn album. The cue order went like this: Main Title from 'The Sea Hawk" lp; then the Errol Flynn suite which ended with "Strike For The Shores of Dover" and arranged to conclude with the last bars of the Finale; then back to the Love Theme and -again- the Finale from "The Sea Hawk" lp. Not an ideal assembly.

I prefer the original album presentations here, though RCA could save themselves the trouble of bothering with the "Spectacular World" reissue buy adding the extra cues there to other albums in the series, though that would make Jimmy McHugh's "Universal Pictures Fanfare" and Daniele Amfithearof's "Salome" difficult to place.

There is still the problem of the unreleased music in RCA's vaults (?). "Between Two Worlds" was expanded to include the never-before released "Piano Rhapsody" (which was previously recorded for Readers' Digest and reissued by Varese). Stranger still is the expanded (13:21) suite from "The Fountainhead" which appeared on a cd released by - of all things - the U.S. Post Office to commemorate the release of a series of film composer stamps in 1999.

OMG, I just quickly listened to some tracks on my copies of both Sea Hawk and Sunset Boulevard w/headphones on. I have both editions (Dolby/ Non-Dolby) and the sound quality of the Non-Dolby recordings is LIGHTYEARS better!! I think I should've listened to them more often... Why did they ever do this "Dolby-stuff" in the first place and ruin those recordings?... so now I think I'll have to buy them all over again. frown ... (not that I don't have enough CDs already to listen to...)