Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 8:16 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

Re: Easy. For me it would be The Tamarind Seed. I'd prefer the original tracks, but my thinking concerning re-recordings has evolved over the years and I'd be equally happy with that as well.

Yes, that was my choice as well!!!!!!! But I do love the 9:48 suite from it on disc one of the "Zulu" set.

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 8:19 AM   
 By:   Charlie Chan   (Member)

Happy New Year folks!

How about 'A Jolly Bad Fellow' starring Leo Mckern. AKA: They All Died Laughing.

Regards

CC

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 8:20 AM   
 By:   The Beach Bum   (Member)

Year Of The Comet.

And, I know it is impossible, but an expanded Lion In Winter.

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 8:29 AM   
 By:   Zambra Alex   (Member)

Walkabout.

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 8:56 AM   

I've had "Walkabout" on CD for years. This is about never released John Barry. Wait … I see it was conducted by Nic Raine and the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, so I guess that was a modern re-recording and you're still looking for the original. Right? But the original posting was this: "The question is - What Barry score would you love to own but cannot because it has not been released?" And "Walkabout" has been released in one form or another. You might like it!

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 11:29 AM   
 By:   Reeve   (Member)

A 2 Disc Edition of.....

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Disc One:

Complete Film Score with source cues, alternates cues and any out takes.

Disc Two:

The Album presentation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would also love a complete Moonraker, Octopussy, A View To A Kill.

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 3:49 PM   

Reeve: Re your: A 2 Disc Edition of.....

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Disc One:

Disc Two:

The Album presentation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously you didn't read the original post. May I repeat it for you?

This post is not about naming every unreleased Barry. I am also not asking what released score you would like expanded.

The question is - What Barry score would you love to own but cannot because it has not been released?

Got that?

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 4:06 PM   
 By:   AndrewH   (Member)

Raise the Titanic!

My favourite Barry score after OHMSS.

I know that there is a Nic Raine version, of which I have two copies, one still sealed, but to have Barry's version would be amazing.

Never happen though. :-(

Posted:   Jan 9, 2014 - 4:06 PM   
 By:   AndrewH   (Member)

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 6:20 AM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

THIS!

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

I've had "Walkabout" on CD for years. This is about never released John Barry. Wait … I see it was conducted by Nic Raine and the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, so I guess that was a modern re-recording and you're still looking for the original. Right? But the original posting was this: "The question is - What Barry score would you love to own but cannot because it has not been released?" And "Walkabout" has been released in one form or another. You might like it!

That's a fantastic CD, Ron. One of my favourite releases performed by The COP. I listen to it regularly. Wonderful score and recording. It also has some other fine selections...

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 6:52 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

Reeve: Re your: A 2 Disc Edition of.....

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Disc One:

Disc Two:

The Album presentation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously you didn't read the original post. May I repeat it for you?

This post is not about naming every unreleased Barry. I am also not asking what released score you would like expanded.

The question is - What Barry score would you love to own but cannot because it has not been released?

Got that?

There is also a very fine 'expanded' rerecording of this score from a few years ago available, to quell that thirst.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

I think the real number one is SINFUL DAVEY but we know that's not possible.

The next one is MISTER MOSES but we know that's not possible too.

After that I would say it's an even tie between GOODBYE LOVER and YEAR OF THE COMET.

I have to agree that MISTER MOSES and SINFUL DAVEY would be top, but would not happen unless someone like Nic Raine could do for them what he did for RAISE THE TITANIC.

YEAR OF THE COMET and GOODBYE LOVER I would think could be possible and hopefully happen soon.

Let's be honest, there is still many BARRY compositions that hopefully can be released. Of course expanded versions of his BOND music that hasn't happened, and to add to what has already been mentioned ELEANOR AND FRANKLIN/THE WHITE HOUSE YEARS and LEGEND OF THE LONE RANGER. Barry is one of the masters of film music and all of his work should be released ! More Barry Please !

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 7:17 AM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

DOUBLE POST

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 7:58 AM   
 By:   humster   (Member)

Another vote for YEAR OF THE COMET. I'd love to hear Barry's take on it. As much I love Hummie Mann's score, does anyone know why JB's was rejected?

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 8:40 AM   

Thomas:

I bought that re-done "Somewhere In Time" as soon as it was released. In the interview of the film's director posted elsewhere here, he mentions the similarity to Barry's later score for "Out of Africa," and I long thought of them as 2 parts of a whole, although when he did "Dances With Wolves" it became THREE parts of a whole. I've always felt that "Somewhere In Time" marked the start of an especially romantic period for him, and there were elements in other later scores, such as "Peggy Sue Got Married" and "Until September" and "Indecent Proposal." Boy, don't we just adore John Barry!!!

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 11:17 AM   
 By:   Reeve   (Member)

Thanks Thomas. (I still stand by my word - "Somewhere In Time" is my MOST WANTED John Barry Score)

Yep! I own The Royal Scottish National Orchestra Re - Recording. I do love it. But I prefer the original (of course).

As for what score I want to see released....

Well - how about "JAGGED EDGE" - released in 1985?

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Available on LP but not CD, I'm very fond of the few cues he wrote for "Man in the Middle". Chicken Delhi Blues in particular sounds like a rangefinder for King Rat.

Otherwise, let's say The Tamarind Seed. At least it's possible.

TG

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 1:52 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Although available on LP, my most wanted Barry CD would be The Legend Of The Lone Ranger.
Since it's a very short LP and some of that time is taken up with the William Tell Overture, I suppose an expanded edition would be the order of the day.
Methinks Intrada would be the boys to unveil this one.

Posted:   Jan 10, 2014 - 5:10 PM   
 By:   follow me   (Member)

The Tamarind Seed
Svengali
Willa
Goodbye Lover
Year of the Comet
Brighton Rock (well, maybe someone has tapes of this)
Sinful Davey