Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Nov 19, 2013 - 11:33 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

Weird. If I view them as "Headlines," I get the pop-up warning. But if I switch the view to "Regular," where you can see cover images and other issue info, it works just fine.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 12:31 AM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Outstandingly generous! Thank you very much.

Good thing I didn't save on memory on my new iPad :-)

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 1:02 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Thanks Lucas. Although I have all the print copies, I will download these since I will now be able to search them a lot more easily!

Same here.

Thank you, Lukas.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 1:51 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Thanks very much, Lukas. I'm browsing through all the early issues I missed (my first was in '96, I think), and it's wonderfully entertaining and enlightening to see how things evolved since way back. Love the conversational "pub chat" tone of those early ones, before we had things like computers.

"I have seen in a shop the CDs of BACK TO THE FUTURE III and GHOST - that's right, no LP release."

"Bill has asked if there is an octopus in THE GOONIES." (From the following issue - "Mark says he thinks there is an octopus in THE GOONIES but he hasn't seen the film for a while.")

"Record Review - PLANET OF THE APES: One of Jerry Goldsmith's least enjoyable scores. At least it shows how far he has progressed."

"Someone has asked if there will be a soundtrack for the new John Williams film. I don't know yet, but probably."

"Filming now in Sri Lanka is JARASSIC (sic) PARK, about dinosaurs."

Wonderful stuff. Looking forward to seeing some familiar names once I get to the later Letters section!

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 2:32 AM   

He, he...yeah, great fun.

I see that I posted a letter in their issue with Stanley Kubrick on the cover, applauding their buyer's guides and asking for an Elfman guide. Of course, I would go on to write their Elfman guide myself 6 years later (first part in their last-ever issue, second part in their first-ever Online issue).

This is Lukas' own publishing history and "baby", first and foremost, but as I've told him repeatedly, it's also MY film music history. When I bought my first FSM in April-96 (the issue that incidentally introduced their first CD THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3) -- sent in snail mail with dollar bills inside that I had acquired in the local bank with extra fees -- it was a revelation to discover more likeminded fans out there. Incredibly important part of my 'cultural self-esteem', if there is such a thing. The introduction of the messageboard a couple of years later was an even more important step.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 4:53 AM   
 By:   That Bloke   (Member)

A truly generous gesture from a truly generous gemtleman.

I second that statement. Thank you Lukas.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 4:53 AM   
 By:   That Bloke   (Member)

Thank you - again (double post. D'oh!).

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 6:14 AM   
 By:   serifiot   (Member)

Thumbs up! A lot of happy reading to catch up on. Thank you Superman!

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 6:14 AM   
 By:   serifiot   (Member)

Thumbs up! A lot of happy reading to catch up on. Thank you Superman!

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 6:48 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Thank you Lucas

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Wonderful gesture Lukas. Thank you.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 7:48 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

Weird. If I view them as "Headlines," I get the pop-up warning. But if I switch the view to "Regular," where you can see cover images and other issue info, it works just fine.

This has been corrected, sorry about the inconvenience.

Lukas

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 7:57 AM   
 By:   jonnyquest   (Member)

What a wonderful Holiday gift! I too have all the print editions but how wonderful to have a pdf backup. Happy Thanksgiving Lukas!

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

You've come a long way from the first ed, Lukas. It's an engaging format. 2004 was the end of a particular era. Well, several of them, to be sure. That's more or less where I've started. Thanks a whole bunch.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   mulan98   (Member)

Proof yet again of movie music's most generous exponent of philanthropy.

Thanks again for everything Mr Kendall.

Posted:   Nov 20, 2013 - 12:25 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Incredible. Many thanks for this, Lukas.

Posted:   Nov 21, 2013 - 11:48 AM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

Finally!

Now EVERYONE (including the cheapskates wink ) can read my masterful dissertations on the art and craft of musical composition for motion pictures!

Go to it, Thor!

LOL!
bruce

Posted:   Nov 21, 2013 - 1:06 PM   

He, he...I've already read everything in FSM from the dawn of time, Bruce. Even your pieces (I seem to recall you did something on MIAMI VICE).

Posted:   Nov 21, 2013 - 1:07 PM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

It's hysterical reading some of the predictions and opinions in there. Like the Laserdisc guys predicting doom for DVD or - my favorite - Lukas' claim that, even through FSM released "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" they had no intention of becoming a soundtrack label.

Good times!

Posted:   Nov 22, 2013 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   Urs Lesse   (Member)

double post